Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Why Did I Start Fat Boy Crossfit?


I started this blog for a multitude of reasons. The first of course is that I have seen amazing results from this sport of fitness in a relatively short amount of time. I’ve been Crossfitting since January and in seven short months I am completely addicted to functional movements.

When I first walked into the gym, I weighed in at 275 lbs. By far the most out-of-shape that I had been in my entire life. I grew up always involved in organized sports and was for the most part a stand out athlete amongst my peers. This proceeded through high school and into college until all of a sudden workouts were not required. Then the slow and slippery slope to obesity began.

To date, I’m down 30 lbs. and feeling better than ever. My body composition has changed dramatically and my overall level of fitness has skyrocketed. 

So here I am, seven months into the sport of fitness and I decided to start a blog. Why? Because the more I have been into this community, the more I realize how intimidating it is for large folks to get into it. The folks that need to be here the most.

Perception vs. reality.

Did you watch the CrossFit Games this past weekend? So did I. An amazing display of fitness from some of the most phenomenal athletes in the world. But is that the reality? When I look around my box, I see a handful of athletes that look like the phenoms we saw on TV. I see a lot more athletes that look like everyday people trying to non-everyday tasks while they kick the shit out of themselves. Reality.

Put yourself in the perspective of an out-of-shape, overweight, perhaps obese individual. Can you imagine how intimidating it would be to step foot into a Crossfit box thinking it’s full of folks you see on TV?

So here I am. Just a fat dude that is a little less fat than I used to be and hopefully not as fat as I always will be, trying to spread the word that Crossfit is for us too! Once you do get inside, you’ll realize it for yourself. But I get it. Taking that first step inside is probably the hardest. I know I was terrified. My hope is that this can be a dropbox of motivation and a celebration of victories. When you surround yourself with positive people, it makes your own mindset all the better. After all, Crossfit is more mental exercise than physical.

All the best in your own journey. Enjoy it. Share it.

-FBC

2 comments:

  1. 100% agree! I always go around saying that Crossfitt works for everybody. That's the beauty of scaling. My first workouts (being an overweight female) were next to super fit/musclualr guys, but we were all doing the same WOD (I was scaled of course). Regaurdless of my fitness level, I was welcomed and befriended by my box memebers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comment Karen! I think people don't realize that workouts get scaled. People watch on TV and think, "I can't do that, this isn't for me." Just walking through the door should change most people perceptions, but how do we get them to the door? Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete